Saturday, September 4, 2010

I'm a Giraffe


I'm a teacher! Who would have thought? Sure I studied business in college and worked tirelessly in the field but teaching has always been a good match with my personality. Besides, if I can teach my Mom how to use her computer and email properly, teaching young Taiwanese kids that don't share my language should be a cakewalk (sorry Mom - love you!). Alas, my latest adventure has landed me a job at a Giraffe English School in northern Taipei.


This is my school! And no, that is not our school bus! Giraffe is a franchise with branches located across the city; children go to normal elementary school during the day and afterwards, they come and learn English with Teacher Andrew. Giraffe has their own material - textbooks, workbooks, worksheets, etc. - but they extend freedom to each franchise on how to teach the material. My technique involves lots of games, making faces and dancing around like a fool at times. I'll take laughter over tears any day of the week.




This is my office - as you can see there are no students, I temporarily misplaced them. Class size range from 8 to 15 and their ages are mixed from 1st through 4th grade. Lessons are split between teachers at the school, me being the only foreigner, and since all the material comes from the home office, style and lesson plans are very similar. Upon enrollment, kids take a placement test to see which class they belong in. Here is what I've learned so far...



1. Kids are crazy
- Was I like this when I was a young lad? Probably (sorry again, Mom). Of course, kids are kids and when they have some extra energy, you are very aware of it. My guess is the public schools must be putting some stimulants in the rice

2. There is a fine line between friend and teacher - As some of you may know, my gregarious and lighthearted disposition allows me some commonality with kids. I jump around, I crack jokes, I make faces and I play games - I'm really good at this and thankfully the students respond well. However, after an exceptionally silly lesson, trying to discipline the troublemakers becomes impossible. Would you listen to a teacher who just did his best Michael Jackson impression using a plastic dinosaur as a microphone? I doubt it.

3. The absence of a normal day - I have no idea what will happen during the course of a school day. What I mean is I know I will get there, teach, help students and leave. But when students ask me how many guns I own, where babies come from, how many girlfriends I have, or why is my Chinese such "poo poo", and can't help but stare blankly and wonder what the next gem will be.

There will be plenty more about my teaching but for now, short and sweet.

1 comment: