Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sultry

For those of you who don't know, my name is Andrew Skarvinko and I have recently become Asian - Taiwanese in fact. I have flown across the USA, over the Pacific Ocean and directly in the thick of it all, Taipei.

If you look on a map, Taiwan is roughly on the same longitude as the Bahamas. So when an LED screen at the airport describing the weather said "sultry", I thought it would be warm, breezy and pleasant. However, the humidity sticks to my Western skin like bubble gum mixed with honey in a jar of peanut butter. Even my sweat, sweats. The Taiwanese have completely unaware of this, sporting pants and long sleeves at times, and have a Zen-like control over their pores.

Until I find the path to Enlightenment, I will be sweating like a BP executive in front of a Congressional sub committee.

No comments:

Post a Comment